DINNER: Steak Taco with Cheese Shell
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 packet taco seasoning
1 New York strip steak
1/4 stick butter
diced tomato, for topping
sour cream, for topping
sliced avocado, for topping
sliced jalapeño, for topping
lime zest, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Set out four glasses that are similar in height and rest a wooden cooking spoon over each pair of glasses. These suspended spoons will be used to shape the tortillas.
2. Divide cheese into three mounds on top of a lined sheet pan. Use your hand to flatten and spread cheese into circles spaced 1-2 inches apart. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or cheese appears lacy and is golden-brown on the edges.
3. Use a spatula to carefully drape tortillas over suspended spoons to create tortilla shape. Allow to dry and harden.
Meanwhile, sprinkle taco seasoning over both sides of the steak. You may not use the whole packet.
4. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. If using a grill pan, melt butter over the top. Rotate steak 90 degrees using a fork, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Flip steak with a fork, and repeat process. Remove steak onto a plate and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes, before slicing into thin strips against the grain.
5. To assemble, fill taco shells lettuce, steak, sour cream, diced tomato and avocado, a few slices of jalapeño, and lime zest.